Sunday, March 15, 2009

Slow Loris

I've never really considered myself the marrying type. Strange then, perhaps, that my dating career has taken the form of serial monogamy. I've never really dated, as such. I guess I've always sort of been looking for someone I wanted to spend my life with - and jumping from relationship to relationship while doing it. But, whenever I'd think about the future, it just never seemed to include the person I was with at the time. I suppose I just gave up looking at some point and started thinking of relationships as convenient ways to pass the time.

I suppose, then, that this sort of explains the string of events that untied themselves when I met Jess. I'm a climber, Jess is a climber. We each needed a climbing partner to kick our respective butts into climbing. We enjoyed each other's company, we climbed and Jess even got me back into yoga. I thought a couple of times about whether we could be more than just friends, but I was in another relationship, albeit an un-fulfilling one, and just not ready to shake things up. And then... well, things got shaken up for me. In startlingly rapid sucession, I found myself disentangled and in Jess' arms. It was the most natural thing in the world. And I found myself wondering why it had taken me so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment